Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tact Is The Knack Of Making A Point Without Making An Enemy.


WARNING: This post may contain self-pity and general whining.

How many of you have wasted outfit? By this I mean outfits which you have created which are awesome, exciting and make you feel fantastic that you have either a) wasted on an occaison that didn't give the outfit the interest that it deserved or b) haven't worn the outfit for fear of unwanted attention. I'm sure you all at least have one.

The wasted outfit is a tragedy for the fashion conscious, for it is essentially the waste of an idea, a feeling. It's always depressing for me when I wear something that expresses my mood or feeling at the time while also looking fantastic, and the only people I see are people who have no idea about fashion, and do not notice or care what apparel I am wearing. Does this mean the outfit is wasted?

Perhaps it is just me because I have trouble wearing the same outfit twice because what I wear symbolises a coming together of my mood, my activities and my level of attention-seeking. This means that two outfits are rarely the same. I have always wondered whether others suffer from this affliction or whether I am the only one that sees my outfit as an expression of a fleeting moment. Sometimes on street fashion blogs such as stilinberlin, I look at the subjects and wonder: what inspired this outfit, what were they thinking and have they used this outfit before?
Am I the only person who questions the story behind the outfit? Am I the only one with wasted outfits lying dormant in my closet waiting for another chance? Am I also thinking way too much about this?

P.S. Shout out to Jess, my friend who recently embarked on a trip to Europe for a massive working holiday. I'm glad you got there safely and I know you will have an incredible time.

14 comments:

Isabel said...

I hate wasted outfits! I mean, dressing up is hardly worth it if no one appreciates what you are wearing. Living in a small town, Jesus knows I have a ton of wasted outfits.

Cassidy said...

that's so entirely true it hurts! my outfits (and sometimes whole looks, including hair/makeup) tend to capture the day's mood and feeling, regardless of my plans for the day, and oftentimes cannot be replicated. it's sad when they're wasted on a trip to the market when they should be put on display!
i, too, have outfits that are just beckoning me to wear them, but feel a bit too "out there" to be worn in a casual public setting... sadness.
at least we can share each other's pain..

Dilemma said...

I have an insane amount of wasted outfits. I'm trying to get better at just putting other people out of my mind as I get dressed, but that doesn't always work. Around where I live, people mostly dress in jeans or sweats, a t-shirt, and crocs or flip flops so...draw your own conclusions.

stilinberlin said...

Don't waste your outfits - you could meet a photographer every day ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jayne said...

well, i have definitely been known to wear and outfit twice, yet i totally know what you mean about wearing things around clueless friends who don't understand the genius of it. and then you think, "damn! if only katherine were here then i'd totally be appreciated!" haha or whatever friend will notice your brilliance. i also really hate when your outfit kickass, but you're overdressed so people just think about how you're too formal instead of how great the outfit is...

evie said...

oh yeah, wasted outfits. some days i go to work and there are only 5 people out of which maybe 1 would notice something about my outfit. so for awhile i stopped bothering and only worked on my outifts if i knew i was going to meet someone (like friends for dinner) who would appreciate the effort. ah.. such vanity lol.

but i've since decided to start dressing up again more for myself than anyone else. just because it's a wasted outfit, it doesn't mean i have to be a slob :)

Emma said...

Christ, that last outfit is le sex.

dusk&summer said...

Finally someone put my feelings into words!

Maddy said...

I know what you mean. Those days when you look totally fly, but the people around don't seem to get it. I am always making dresses, because they make me feel pretty and nobody else will have the same one. When I wear them out, I do get a lot of looks. Some looks are nice, and some are not, but I've learned not to pay the public opinion much mind. It's a whole lot more fun to get dressed that way.

lalaliu said...

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I feel that I won't be "out" and be "seen" (haha I sound like such an attention seeker, but I swear Im not :P)for long enough to deserve to put together a cool outfit. Love this blog by the way :)

Rhiannon said...

I'm passing the Rockin' Girl Blogger badge on to you . .. see my blog for more details! :)

Candid Cool said...

I know what you mean about "wasted outfits." But then you get to a point of who cares, I want to wear what I want to wear. Plus, you may never know you could meet
-h

discothequechic said...

wowww, that girl's leggings are too perfect!
xx