Wednesday, June 25, 2008

If You Can't Get Rid Of The Skeleton In Your Closet, You'd Best Teach It To Dance.

If this isn't your first visit here, you will have realised that I have a near unnatural obsession with tights. I only ever wear tights or pants. You will never see my bare legs. Why, you may ask.
It's simply this. I intensely dislike my legs. While some people worry about their backside or their stomach or their shoulders or their arms or just about anything (Tricia makes some interesting points about body love/hate), I have major issues with my legs. It's due to the fact that when I was younger, I had a skin condition (eczema) which left me feeling self conscious about my legs and about myself in general. Now, my legs are fine and only slightly scarred but the emotional scars (cliched I know) are with me still.



Wearing - white shirt (Target), black cardigan (?), grey skirt (homemade), tights, blue shoes (Target), scarf (thrifted). Forgive me, this is a work outfit...

The upside of this is however, I have developed my own sort of style which, living in a small town, is very different to those around me. I think that because I have a flaw which I feel I have to work around it has made me less lazy when it comes to getting dressed. I like to think I've turned my negative into a positive. One day however, I hope to not have to worry about matching tights to dresses.

Do you guys have any flaws or issues which you get dressed around or keep in mind when you open the closet?

8 comments:

The Clothes Horse said...

You do have beautiful style that is all your own. I have lots of flaws I would prefer to hide and I'm quite selfconscious about my chest size, but I always subscribe to that "if they haven't noticed yet, don't let them know" policy. I never bared my legs in public until senior year of high school, before that I hated how untoned and pale they were, they haven't changed (except for a few scars from general clumsiness) but after living in Hawaii I really HAD to bare my legs, it was too hot.

Raggamuffin said...

Oh gosh my sis' hands are also scarred due to eczema!

i have 1 main flaw actually. i have some L-shaped rash-like growth on my left waist that prevents me from wearing any midriffs. But luckily it's close to skin colour, so sometimes i'll just 'flaunt' it regardless. haha. oh poor people who had their sight and senses cloyed by me :)

such a fun work outfit by the way.

Times of Glory said...

Dear, I really like your blog and your style is causally chic and stylish! I love mixing neutral tones - they are brilliant, bringing the layers out and look super cool xxxxxxx

Ragamala said...

I really love this entire outfit. The colors work so well together. It's kind of a contemporary take on the school girl look, no?

esme and the lane way said...

I love this – it is so simple but put-together... the skirt is great!

Lil Midget said...

I love tights too...and also because I don't really like my legs. I have huge thighs and calves from years of gymnastics, taekwondo, cycling, leg pressing in the gym and soccer..Doesn't look too good if you're short! God bless the person who invented tights!

xo

A dreamer said...

i have eczema too so i get concious about showing certain bits of my arms in summer. mainly because there are all these red rashy scratches.
My legs have TONNES of scars on them that won't go away. I think that's why my obsession with tights began. But i'm getting used to baring my legs in summer because I realised that no-one really stares at my legs...unless i show them or something.

You have really great thin legs that people would kill for. Perhaps you could edge yourself into showing your legs by first wearing some short-ish socks...take it one step at a time?

Francis Girard said...

I wear tights everyday also - Im a brisbane girl but have lived in London for 2 years, Im worried I will be too hot in tights in QLD if I ever return - what do you think? xf