Monday, June 09, 2008

To Tattoo Or Not To Tattoo

As long as it's not Tatu, hey folks?

The scary fact is I'm nearly 21. In Australia, this means that I've been enjoying the good/sexy parts of adulthood such as voting and drinking for about three years. For some reason though, the traditional coming of age was always something that I feared more... I feel that I am actually meant to be an adult by that time. In the last couple of years, many of my friends have gotten tattoos - either cute or meaningful and I've been thinking about getting one too.

Don't get me wrong, its not just because my friends are getting one, its just because I've always been going to get one but I never really found anything I loved enough. The lovely Clothes Horse didn't help with my tattoo envy either.


Lately, I've been thinking of some sort of dark, fairytale sort of illustration, in honour of my Danish heritage and Hans Christian Andersen. Maybe the Little Match girl or Little Mermaid?



I think its partly related to this song, Prisoners too. Why is Regina Spektor so amazing?

3 comments:

The Clothes Horse said...

Ah, I love Regina Spektor and tattoos (clearly). Your ideas sound really nice and I think a little matchgirl tattoo would be very unique. I turned 21 this year and in America our privelages just begin now. I don't feel like an adult most days, but it's nice to be able to tell people to treat me like an adult and not a child.

Lady Smaggle said...

Oh I totally want one too. On my wrist. But I don't know what? I've been thinking about it for years now. One day maybe!

Te said...

Sexy part of adulthood is right, voting gets me sooo hot and bothered ;)I've wanted a tattoo for ages too, have swung between a phrase in ancient greek, an ancient celtic ship, a star, and a world map. My philosophy is that once you decide something you want, give yourself a time period (eg, 3 months or, next holidays) and if you still want it by then it's just meant to be :)..so now I just have to decide on ONE thing.

I like your ideas for yours, and the fact that there is a meaning behind it means you wont feel stupid in years to come when someone asks you what you got it for. My friend got a phrase in chinese thinking it meant success, turns out it means 'bad economy' he cringes everytime someone asks its meaning. haha.
wow that was an essay.