Friday, July 11, 2008

eBay vs Etsy

I've dispensed with the quote-y title for this post, in order to get as much feedback as possible.

The question - Which do you prefer to use as a seller or to buy from as a customer?
The decision should be easy - Etsy all the way. It costs less to list, items stay up for longer and there is no additional cost to have your own store. However, there are a number of great bloggers/etsy store owners around already such as Le Bon Bon Multicoloure and Persephassa. Would you get noticed amongst such great company or should I prepare for a big advertising budget?

There are also the Ebay success stories - Liebemarlene Vintage, Sally-Jane Vintage and Thirteen Eighty-Five, to name a few. Obviously if these people continue to use Ebay it must be doing something right.


Liebemarlene Vintage


Thirteen Eighty-Five

I've always had aspirations of selling clothing, hopefully one day in some sort of boutique. My other problem is if I see something nice or distinctive I'll buy it, even if it is not my size/the colour doesn't suit me or it is just plain unflattering on me. So I quite literally have a whole wardrobe full of clothes that don't fit me that I want to pass onto to others.

This is one of the things that I like about secondhand vintage clothing, the fact that you get a piece, you love it and wear it (as the person who owned it before surely did) and then you pass it along to a new owner who can transform it and do their own thing with it.

The other reason why I want to do something is that while there is such a big eBay/etsy vintage scene in the US, the Australian scene is still pretty small and I think that some people would like to have the opportunity to pay less for shipping (well, I know that I would).

So yeah, that was pretty much a stream of conciousness post. Any comments or help would be great.

12 comments:

Lady Smaggle said...

Oh Etsy all the way. I hate bidding. It just stresses me out. I'd rather buy something flat out just lay the money on the table. Oh and thank you for alerting me to Persephassa's shop. I've been net stalking her for ages and I totally didn't know she had a shop.

Anonymous said...

definitely etsy! i think it's more personal, cheaper and well i like it more!

Sally Jane said...

I agree that Etsy is more DIY and buyer friendly in that there's no competetive bidding but as a seller I feel that I reach a wider audience on Ebay. Not as many people look to Etsy for vintage clothing. Also, I find Etsy's search engine to be less user friendly than Ebay's straight forward one.

The Clothes Horse said...

Thirteen-eighty does both I think, so maybe she can't make up her mind wither! I second Sally Jane, I find it easier to search and find things on eBay than Etsy. People also seem better about listing sizes right in the title on eBay, which means you don't have to fall in love with a dress that doesn't fit. However, when you're first starting out I can see how Etsy is more affordable...I guess this isn't really too much help since I don't say one or other other...
Your last job sounds terrible. And I really appreciate your comment. I try to respond to what people say in my comments and also what they posted on, but it usually ends up being very long and some people apologize for being long-winded, so I wonder if sometimes I leave too long of comments!

esme and the lane way said...

I think some more vintage being made available to us here would be great, as it seems – at least in Melbourne – that anything vintage has already been bought and then sold with a new, higher price a good few times, and so vintage here is really quite pricey when compared to the US.
I like the love-it-wear-it-pass-it-on aspect, too.

Skye said...

I'm such a cheapskate (read: poor person) that I very rarely buy vintage on ebay or Etsy, and when I do it tends to be Australian Ebay because I've scrounged a bargain and don't want to pay the extra shipping. I'm probably not the ideal person to ask the question of, but I hated selling vintage on ebay, would be willing to try out Etsy.

fashionhayleytokyo said...

I've been thinking about this a little bit too because I want to start a vintage shop selling all the stuff I find at op shops and markets that won't fit me but I know other people will love. Like some of the other commenter's I think ebay reaches more people (especially in Australia where there isn't a very big etsy following here, yet) and it's easier to search for things. I enjoy bidding because it makes you think you are getting a bargain. The thing I hate about ebay is what they charge you for listing, and now the forced paypal issue in Australia which ends up costing you more as a seller. I have some stuff up on ebay right now and I was charged 10cents for listing a "designer" when I didn't list one. Its only 10cents but it was annoying. I'm not sure if it ends up being worth it in the end, I never make a lot of money from the stuff I sell on ebay but I've never really sold quality vintage stuff before which is what I'm planning on doing. Then maybe it will be worth while.

Lady Melbourne said...

Used to be eBay but now I'm all about Etsy. If I really want something I can't find chances are I can get it on eBay, but I like the community of Etsy and I've generally had a more pleasant shopping experience. I'd rather give my money to someone who's independant and has made their wears.
LM
x

Heidi said...

Both of them :)
would you like to trade links with me? xo

karen said...

Etsy isn't so great if you're trying to set up an Australian market as all the listings are worldwide and are in US dollars. Also the georgraphy search tool is annoying in that it won't list. When shopping for clothes I personally prefer ebay. If you don't like the idea of bidders you can always just have buy it now

lebonbonmulticolore said...

First I would like to thank you for the mention of my etsy shop :)

I use to sell my vintage clothing on ebay,but I found the fees to be insanly high and I am not good with graphic design,I do everything on my own and etsy makes it really easy for me to have a somewhat cute page online to sell my items.I agree with sally jane that there is a bigger audience on ebay and you get more money for your items but I don't mind putting a price on something.I use to own my own vintage shop years ago in Pheonix,Arizona and I had to come up with prices.I base my prices on what I see stuff go for online.I don't wanna overprice vintage items,I really like the idea of selling a vintage garment at a good price and making someones day. Thats why I still sell,I really enjoy seing or hearing from someone that they love their purchase.Actually thats why I started studying fashion design,I wanna make people feel great in fashions I make from my own two hands :)

Vintage Tea said...

As a seller Im having the Etsy v Ebay problem right now! I have an etsy shop at the moment but I think i would get better prices and more traffic on Ebay...hmmmm what to do?