Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Thought And Pondered - Vainly

I've been thinking a lot lately with the release of this new book about what causes me to put myself 'out' there and share my thoughts and daily outfits with the internet/blogging community. Lady Smaggle's interesting post about blog addiction was food for thought as well.

Initially, it was because I live in a smallish city where the height of sophistication is the latest hoodie from Jay Jay's (non Aussies, click on the link). Yes, it is sad. I always sort of did my own thing with clothes because... I just always did. There are probably many factors that made me the way I am (some of which I may explore at another point).

But what keeps me blogging? Is it vanity? Is it some form of narcisscism? Sure, the lovely comments I get are flattering and sometimes after a day of being asked why I am wearing my grandma's clothes (original, yep) or why am I so dressed up, it is nice to feel like other people know where I am coming from. The other comment I frequently get and which really annoys me relates to how 'dirty' secondhand clothing is. This seems to be a widely held belief and one which really frustrates me. Coming here and feeling as though someone understands is comforting.

The second reason why I continue is because overall I am in love with the blogging community, I love everyone's personas, quirks and uniqueness. don't have access to rad vintage stores or awesome designer labels where I am situated. Even eBay and etsy are sometimes out of reach due to absurd shipping or my dwindling budget. But other bloggers can inspire me to make the best of what I have and encourage me and educate me. It's lovely and everyday I feel as though I have learnt something or grown in some way.


I love the way that people discuss things both fashion and non-fashion related and I love the overall aura of acceptance. I think sometimes I'm more myself here than anywhere else, which is very,very sad but true.

So, yeah, that's the (sappy) reason why I'm still around.

Another day, another outfit -

Grey cardigan - Fashion Fair (ugh!), roman numeral dress - homemade (thrift fabric/pattern), grey tights - Target, scarf - thrift, shoes - thrift.

Note: I'm working on a post related to how to make the tuxedo style dress that I posted awhile ago. I've had some interest from some people over at W_R and also in the post below. If there is anything else that people would like me explain re sewing etc, please let me know.

9 comments:

yiqin; said...

I am glad you continued! I love your blog :) & yes, I am super addicted to the internet as well!!!

The Clothes Horse said...

I love this outfit. The print on that dress is fantastic.
I like to thinking of blogging as a sort of monologue meets dialogue; it's about connecting to a community of like minding individuals and sharing inspiration...but I do fear the narcassistic label which is why very few of my friends know about my blog!
Oh and I did wear my outfit to work. Most of my outfits are work outfits lately, it's making me rethink my wardrobe/be creative...

Skye said...

Fabulous post, very thoughtful and resonant. That dress totally lives up to my expectations of it too - it looks lovely! I've only been "style' blogging for a little while and I don't think it's about narcissism for me - what it is is a little daily creative project which I can do, but where the content/inspiration presents itself without a lot of searching. I started a dream blog once before because that's another kind of subject matter which comes daily without creative struggle (but I had to abandon that when I realised I didn't remember most of my dreams in much detail).

Lady Smaggle said...

Me too! That's why I blog. Because it's fun and it's nice to have to someone else appreciate why you are wearing a bird on your head even if they only seeing you in a picture. Also I love getting ideas from other people around the world. It stops us Australians looking so daggy because we're years behind in style!

The Collector said...

I started blogging when a close friend encouraged me to. I'm glad I did 'cause it's been a lot of fun to keep track of my outfits. Only two friends of my know I do it (and I want to keep it that way). Most people I know just wouldn't understand it.

esme and the lane way said...

It is such an interesting point, and one I have mulled over several times. How could I explain to anyone why I blog? I do enjoy it. I love the community too, and the world-wide love of thrifting and vintage shopping. It is so inspiring. I also love seeing how different people live thousands of km away. The internet is amazing!

A dreamer said...

that's one of the best things about blogging- the community. What your friends tell you looks weird, bloggers tell you it's fantastic. It's odd isn't it? Lol. it's like bloggers have totally different taste...or they're just really nice.

Francis Girard said...

Im addicted also and you know what SM I can think of so many other worse things to be addicted to. You rock we would be sad if you left our little community. xf

Te said...

Great post. I agree with all of your reasons for blogging and feel they apply to me too. Just like dressing in a unique style, I see blogging as a chance to express individuality. I dislike the 'business' intention of some blogs, like you can tell they are updated only for the viewers. Sometimes I get annoyed with myself because the more I am aware of people reading my blog the more I consider what I'm writing before I post it, whereas earlier blogs of mine have just been a stream of consciousness...that's why my blog has changed from mainly only style stuff to everything and anything.