Thursday, July 24, 2008

Is This A Dress Rehearsal?

Do you own any clothes that you know that you will never wear out but keep them anyway?

Do you often open the wardrobe wear these clothese are kept and stare dreamily at them?

Do you sometimes try them on and dance around in them or pretend that you have a life where you could wear them?
If any of these apply, this post is for you -

I have exactly three of these items. They are - the Saks Fifth Avenue flapper-esque dress, and two floral floor length gowns. One floral gown is a hot 70s poolside number and the other is an elegant evening one with a back train.
Excuse the weird face, this is the product of a late night photo shoot that went awry. This last dress is probably my favourite - it's made of a fairly heavy stretch cotton and the train at the back is created by hooking two pieces of elastic together at the back, which pulls the back of the dress in. It's the coolest design feature that I've ever seen and I'm always surprised by how clever it is when I put it on. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? Do you know what its called?

I do know that in the current state I'll never wear any of these except maybe as costumes. Yet because they are all so lovely and well made I don't know if I could ever let them go. Are they destined to go through life sitting in my closet?
Disclaimer - I've recently started a new job and I'm finding it hard to balance everything at the moment, so I may be posting a little bit less frequently that usual until I catch up with things!

14 comments:

sydneydoll said...

i force myself to wear everything atleast once
but i know what you mean sometimes you have to buy things.

in regards to my post:
i and the other girl like a history teacher

the one the girl kissed was an IT computer guy.

Skye said...

I do buy things just because they are lovely or special in some way, but I do it less these days. I ended up hoarding stuff which didn't fit or didn't suit me and it just became depressing in the end, so now I'm much tougher. Stuff still gets through the net though!
I hope you're enjoying your new job!

The Clothes Horse said...

I am guilty of this fashion sin as well! I have a number of poofy 50s dresses that are so darling, but very nearly unwearable to any event I can fathom (I have been trying to create events around them, but as of yet it hasn't happened...). I like all of yours, particularily the first one. If not for the trane I would suggest shortening the last one to make it more casual or dyeing the first.
Oh and thank you for your comment! There are so many nice people in the blogsphere that makes blogging a joy.

Emma said...

I'm quite ruthless and throw things out a lot so i don't have too many sins in my wardrobe. i'd love to see photos of you in the other two! the blue colour of the last dress is just stunning.

MadameDior said...

ahh my guilty pleasure, i have at least 6 dresses in my wardrobe that i haven't found the chance to wear yet =[ its unfortunate though. I loveee the dusty pink dress its amazingggg!

Lady Melbourne said...

Ha, I wear all of them out, just to do the shopping!
Keep them what ever you do, your tastes may change as you get older and you'll kick yourself if you get rid of them. The last one looks just stunning on you, what ever you do keep it!
LM
x

yiqin; said...

I try to wear all my clothes at least once! But yes, there are times when I just stare at some of them & dontknw how to wear!

annabananna said...

i, too, have some of those clothes that i rarely wear. but i try to incorporate them in my daily outfit routine somehow. that first dress is stunning!

esme and the lane way said...

I have an idea of the kind of clothes it seems I may never get to wear, ie. formal stuff. Am planning on changing that, and then will have fuller wardrobe and ballroom experience!

fashion herald said...

these are great, the length is beautiful on you! someday, you will will them I'm sure!

PorcelainBlonde said...

You look beautiful, the dress really suits you.

Keep them :) They're all so pretty!

Nothing Elegant said...

I have two closets in my apartment -- one is the "feeling it right now" closet" and the other is my "not feeling it right now" closet. So sad. I am actually good at giving things away, but for some reason I hold onto certain things thinking I'm really going to want to wear this one day...

christine said...

I hate when this happens to me. For me it's a product of my very un-glamorous life. I have a couple beautiful gowns but nowhere to go in them.
Yours do look great on you, but I'm afraid I'm in the same boat and I don't know whether or not they'll be used!

Te said...

Oh I love the first dress, but I can see how it would be hard to apply to everyday wearage haha! I have many items of unworn clothing, but mainly shoes. I am a terrrrible shoe shopper. I buy shoes I wear them once, suffer agony and then they live on forever in my wardrobe while I wear my old faithfuls until they fall apart.