Sunday, August 31, 2008

Every Problem Is Just An Opportunity Waiting To Be Made Use Of

Challenges, challenges. It was a challenge in itself trying to compile a list of things I suck at. Not because I think I'm fantastic but because I think that we all try to shy away from things we aren't particularly good at. But here it is - items/styles I find challenging -

  1. Neatness (I am consistently dishevelled)
  2. Longer skirts (anything past the knee makes me feel dowdy)
  3. Capri pants (just look stupid on me)
  4. Yellow
  5. Heels (I cannot seem to be able to put myself through the pain)

My plan is to take this list and attack it one by one over the next few months. I'm sure that my conquering my style fears I'll open up new avenues of opportunity and rather than look at your blogs and think "I wish I could wear yellow/heels/have pretty neat hair", instead I'll try it myself.

The flu is still lingering but I'm struggling through it (fighting the good fight). Thanks for your well wishes! Yesterday I even managed to put an outfit together! This is a dress that I bought at the same time as the lace coat (which is still being worked on!). I've been meaning to take it in but with a little bit of ingenuity (and a big belt) I made it wearable....

I love the colours and painterly splashes... So I bought it even though it's not the nicest material (it's funny the concessions that you make regarding fabric if you fall in love with the pattern). It worked a treat to brighten up my day!

In other news, I've made the semi-finals of the Little Black Dress competition. This just means that they liked my initial design and now I have to make it before the runway show on October 16. I'll be sure to tell you all about it!

18 comments:

Skye said...

Sticking a belt round a dress is my standard operating procedure - there are never enough hours in my day to take anything in, so on goes the belt!

That dress looks lovely on you! I'll be looking out for your challenges too.

Missa said...

I'm right there with you on the heels, they scare the bejeeses out of me! It's the comfort thing and they also make me feel really self concious for some reason.

Isn't it amazing what a belt can do for a dress? I love that print and the colors too!

jayne said...

your dress is fantastic! love the painter look and the tights go so well with it. you have an issue w/ yellow? really its one of my fav colors!

Ali said...

Oh, I totally agree about heels - I finally decided to dress up and wear some the other day and am now the proud owner of two painful blisters. Also, happy Blog Day - you've been featured.

esme and the lane way said...

The dress looks great with the belt and red tights!
I hope you feel all better soon – and congratulations on the competition! Can't wait to see!
(And, if heels hurt, why where them?! That would be ridiculous!)

whatiwore said...

I think that dress is perfect with flats. Heels would be too fussy.

I'm not a huge fan of yellow on myself either, though I've always felt that true brunettes can pull it off!

By the way, I linked you on my (newly reincarnated) blog. I hope you don't mind!

The Clothes Horse said...

That dress is great. I adore the print.
Awesome idea to tackle your challenges. I would like to dress more "edgy;" darker colors, studs, grommets (basically Givenchy last Fall)...

a cat of impossible colour said...

Tackling your challenges is a great idea! Mine are kind of the opposite to yours - I struggle with looking relaxed and slouchy, I tend to be kind of neat and buttoned-up. I admire the way you always look so effortlessly chic, you never look like you're trying too hard.

That dress is lovely, and looks great belted. Congrats on making it to the competition semi-finals, too!

Miss Karen said...

I love the print on your dress and it looks fantastic belted in!

Ashlee said...

the color of your tights goes so well with that dress.

take on the the heels challenge i am about 5 feet 11 inches tall (not sure what my height is in meters) and i still wear them.

Chic Looks said...

The dress is very pretty

Nothing Elegant said...

Love the colors!

fashion herald said...

congrats on the semi-finals!
And I kind of like the dress long on you. Which is completing challenge #2.

Shay said...

that print is really nice. Bet you could DIY something similar too...

A dreamer said...

i love all your colourful tights and dresses combos.

Lil Midget said...

love the tights :)

Lavender said...

Spring seems like just the right time for these challenges doesn't it?
This season I'm going to try to leave the house with a small handbag instead of my standard Mary Poppins style tote and learn to embrace the playsuit.
Love your work.

The Collector said...

I love this dress with these tights on you.

With heels, you just have to get used to the pain - no way around it.