Sunday, August 10, 2008

I've Got Spots, I've Got Stripes Too

So I was quite enamoured of the scarf/neckpiece featured in this picture over at Dropstitch.

So here it is. It was surprisingly easy once I got my head around it! I made mine in a stretch fabric but I'm sure that it would work fairly well in a non-stretch fabric also.

(with my new Target dress - honestly my polka dot addiction is out of control)

The pattern! This is fairly dodgy looking because I quickly did it up in paint. Basically the main pieces are - two long pieces (approx 80cm) which form the main neck tie and several smaller rectangular length which form the frills.
Once you've made the tie (sewed the long pieces together, turned it inside out) you attached the rectangular pieces to an area which is about the circumference of your neck. The rectangular pieces should be hemmed and either pleated or gathered to give a suitably full look. I used separate pieces rather than a whole length because otherwise it will stand out funny at the shoulders and look more like a ruff.

If I haven't explained anything well enough (probable) or you need extra help, please just ask and I'll do my best!

Now for the stripes - this adorable lady who I found over on Elle Street Style.
I'm pretty much in love with this skirt.

I'll be away from Tuesday to Thursday (for work) so posting may be a little bit sketchy unless I convince my lovely boyfriend to post for me. Which I'm sure he will (if he remembers...)

15 comments:

Blogette said...

So unbelievably cute! I've been considering making a necktie/piece for a while now and you've made it so much easier. Looks so lovely!!

Skye said...

Super dooper cute!

jayne said...

oo you look great! you pull if off much better than your initial inspiration even :) love the striped skirt too!

Shay said...

so cute, and the contrasting dots add a level of sophistication. Could look interesting done up with tiered layers of fabric too...

The Clothes Horse said...

Wow! That is so cute and you make it look simple! That's now on my to-do list.

esme and the lane way said...

Absolutely fantastic! You look great in the polka dots. That neck tie/scarf is amazing.

Miss Karen L said...

Your neckpiece/scarf looks amazing. And I love the contrast between the scarf and your dress.

Nothing Elegant said...

I'm loving the idea of neckpieces as an alternative to scarves -- this one is too cool!

The Collector said...

That looks really awesome. Your polkadot version is so cute!

Romany said...

I'm so glad polka dots are making a comeback. They're such a cute way to make an outfit more interesting.
Romany
xx

Hannah said...

the ruffle is so cute. especially in polkadots. i'd love to try make one, i don't know if i could pull it off like you though!

i had a polka dot period a few years ago, literally everything was polkadot, then the supre brigade started wearing polkadots 24/7 and i put them all away. maybe it's time to break out the dots again? so i totally understand your obsession , they are just so *happy*.

that stripy skirt is really cool, i had some fabric like that from a vintage dress (the dress was this bizarre mu mu that i wanted to take in. there's probably be enough fabric to sew verti8cal stripes with it. if i can find the dress, you are welcome to the fabric.

PorcelainBlonde said...

Very cute :) Love the contrasting polka dots.

christine said...

what a great scarf. Ugh I wish I had room to set up my sewing machine...

Missa said...

Awesome scarf, you did such a wonderful job with it and I love it over the reverse polka dots!

A dreamer said...

woot! unbelievable. the collar looks fantastic. great work! the polka dots look awesome.