Monday, October 20, 2008

Don't Order Any Black Things, Wear Violet and Purple


R Godfrey Rivers - Under the Jacaranda 1903
Purple - Associated with royalty, spirituality and mystery. A colour which can be sweet, bright, serious or quirky. Inspired by the gorgeous flowers that dominate the sky outside my window.

I always love birthday parties because I enjoy gifts and merriment. And everyone holding off on all of their own personal bullshit for the sake of others. If only things happened like that....

Tom's 21st



Tom's 21st



I'm all for the midriff trend except I'm not sure about showing mine off. I thought that this would be a nice way to dip my toe in the proverbial water. Lace top - op shop, skirt - homemade, cropped singlet - Supre, brooch - etsy.

PS - The comp went well but no prizes. :( It was a fun event though. I'll talk more about it when I get some pictures of the other entries and you guys can decide whether the winner was the best one. I don't want to sound like sour grapes without some sort of evidence.

18 comments:

Skye said...

If you live in the town I think you live in (and I know it well because my dad lived there for years and years) I would not be surprised AT ALL by a winner which was thoroughly undeserving (and possibly extremely daggy).

You look very pretty with your sneaky tummy on display!

Sarah said...

I lik your dress but I think I wouldn't have the courage to venture out in it - its a bit too much flesh for me. Just letting you know I've linked you on my blog... we have a love for opping and selling, it seems ;)

Blogette said...

That outfit is gorgeous! I'm a bit scared of showing my midriff (hasn't been done since the early 90s) but you pull it off so well! Love the lace.

jayne said...

amazing dress, classic and sexy the lace wors perfectly

A dreamer said...

amazing outfit! and a very classy way to dip into the middriff "trend". i love the supre crop top with the lace...

Michelle said...

Love your dress! Great blog - I'm new to blogging and am glad that I came across yours :)

*indie_queen* said...

Purple is my favourite colour. So glamorous, luxurious and deep somehow.
Sorry you didn't win anything! But I'm sure the experience was all worthwhile??

The Clothes Horse said...

Your outfit is absolutely stunning. This is such a chic way to embrace the trend...now I'll be on the hunt for a similar lace top!

Miss Karen said...

What a lovely outfit! This is such an elegant take on the trend.

Harlow said...

Oh I know that painting!
I've seen it at the Southbank Gallery....
<3 Jacaranda season!

Missa said...

I LOVE this look and the purple looks really great with the black!

You know, the midriff and back of my wedding dress was made of crocheted lace with my skin showing underneath, though it wasn't black of course ;)

bellefantaisie.net said...

I love the colour purple! Your outfit is so gorgeous! Very elegant.
x

fashion herald said...

beautiful toe dipping for the midriff look - this is a wonderful top.

Iona said...

So lovely.

I think this is actually even nicer than just straight midriff.
Your lace layering from this post and last are just perfect.

El Notable said...

beautiful pictures. Purple is one of my favorite colors of all time, also navy blue is a great hue.
Great Blog!

Te said...

I'm not sure I really like the middriff trend in general, but you make it look sexy and classy rather that it's usual trashy, and the colour combination is gorgeous...as is the lace pattern.

kirstie said...

that is a really well-done take on the midriff trend.

SOS! said...

You look lovely. You deffo pull off showing your midriff, but if it was moi..no way. I'd probably wear a colordy or metallic vest underneath! Stay fab x