Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Red Snappers Snappin', Clam Shells Clappin'

I became addicted to Rock Lobster by The B52's around this time last year. I was searching for animal themed songs for my Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party (it started with turtles/rabbit/walrus songs but I eventually widened the boundaries as I got increasingly desperate).

Everyone knows The B52's but my experiences with them had been limited to Love Shack being played at every single school dance I went to since the age of ten. I am and will always be over that song. No fond memories there. Rock Lobster however evoked different feelings and I associate this song with beach holidays, cute 50's sandals and Gidget/Sandra Dee movies.

From Rewind the Fifties (features heaps of cool stories, I was on there for hours)

I mentioned in earlier posts that one of my style challenges was capri pants (which are closely related clam-diggers/pedal pushes of the 1950's). Gidget and 1950's style were my inspirations when I tried out this style.

RockLobster

RockLobster2

Shirt - thrift (Anglicare), pants - thrift (Salvation Army), belt - thrift (SVDP), shoes - Kmart.
I thought that the missing hole in my shoe wardrobe was red shoes, but obviously not so maybe it's grey shoes.
Also check out this lovely girl's blog - she's Aussie, amazingly dressed and loves Anglicare as much as I do.

12 comments:

jayne said...

i love your broach, something very fun and flirty fifites about this outfit

Heidi at MilkChildren said...

inspiration photos= :)

esme and the lane way said...

I love the pants with those shoes, and the brooch is so sweet!

Missa said...

Looking to the pedal-pusher/clam-diggers of the 50's for your capri challenge inspiration is brilliant, just brilliant!

Cool top and the red bird pin and shoes really make the outfit for me.

The new year sounds good for the swap, I'll flickr mail you soon :D

Raggamuffin said...

u have got to rock capri pants the right wayy :)

trishhunterfinds said...

What a lovely outfit! You really have the shape to pull off that style!
LOVING the collar of the shirt.

PS, like others, I have tagged you in my blog. As I too love your blog.

Milla said...

I love the look! You look ready for a date on the pier circa 1956...

Robot Face said...

Hey i love your style and think you have a great eye. Would you check my blog and tell me what you think of my fur hand muffs? Im going to start selling them and wondered what you thought they could sell for and do you think they could catch on?

Thanking you,
Sophie xXx

Shay said...

wow, this has to be one of my fave outfit shots of you ever!! Absolutely love it.

Te said...

Well I think you pull 1950's off perfectly, I love it! And that broach is so lovely!

Nothing Elegant said...

The bird broach is amazing!

Quail said...

That shirt is sooooo cute!