Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just Like A Chemical Stress

Times are supposedly getting tougher. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't read/hear/see a story about how people are losing their jobs and how it's getting harder to make ends meet. I feel for the people out there that do have it tough, for the single parents working three jobs and the students living on baked beans. However, I have little to no sympathy for those people who refuse to give up luxuries (such as expensive wines, manicures and $100 haircuts) or have been caught out because of their own greed (like the couple that were going to lose one of their investment properties because of interest rate hikes... they could keep the other seven though).

Please don't tell me that it's hard to feed the kids when you're buying three cartons of cigarettes a week or that it'll be another month until you can pay your power bill because you spent all your money on alcohol. Maybe I'm being harsh. I'm not saying live so frugally that you don't enjoy yourself but maybe it's time to re-address your priorities.

That being said, this is a clothing/fashion/style related blog and to be honest, fashion isn't an essential. However, clothing (or at least some sort of body covering) is. Where do we draw the line and how should we cut costs without compromising our own sense of style? Off soapbox.

I don't know the answer to that. However, I do know that there are several bloggers/flickr members out there who I'll adopt as role models for what I like to think of as 'economically sustainable style'. For them it's not about the trends (though they'll reference them) and it's not about buying a new item every week (though they might wear a different outfit every day). It's about celebrating their personality through the medium of clothing in a way that is visually exciting and genuinely inspirational.



10 comments:

A dreamer said...

sometimes i have my doubts about the whole fashion blogging thing. I feel guilty for talking clothes all the time and being egotistical AND vain(clothes are definitely not a necessity)... i feel as if I should be talking about more meaningful stuff. Do you ever feel like that when it comes to fashion blogging?

Brook said...

It seems to me that most Remix posters and bloggers strongly emphasize both wearing vintage and thrifting their own clothes. In doing so, they firmly reject the excesses of the fashion industry and send a clear message to retailers that their mass-produced, substandard garments are not what the people really want. Fashion starts on the streets and works its way up. This is why fashion magazines have begun to attach themselves to blogs and street-style sites, they know which way the winds are blowing-straight through the doors of the Goodwill.

That being said, I don't think blogging about or indulging in fashion during hard times is shallow at all. Many fashion bloggers make thier own clothes or rework items that they've bought at a thrift store (charities need funds now more than ever). I think someday historians will look back on current fashion blogs as a unique window into our culture as a whole. As silly as this sounds, enjoying the creative nature of personal style is good for morale during times of hardship. And I hate to say this 'cause it's awfully George Bushish but buying something new once in a while is good for the economy. Anyhoo, it seems to me that your blog is already oriented towards personal expression and economic/enviornmental sustainability so just keep doing what you're doing!

The Clothes Horse said...

These women are very inspiring. This is part of the reason I love wardrobe_remix, the focus is on remixing clothes not getting new ones.
I'm still afraid of not being able to get a job when I graduate though!

Missa said...

'...role model for economically sustainable style.' - Ooooh, I like it! Thankyou so much for including me along with these two stylish lovelies :D and I like how Milla and I are looking at eachother all Brady Bunch style here, hehe.

I find so much style inspiration from ladies of the internets too, including yourself! I love that there is an online community that promotes expression of personal style in ways that downplay consumption.

I also love your description: 'It's about celebrating personality through the medium of clothing in a way that is visually exciting and genuinely inspirational.' - that's exactly it!

P.S. I've already picked up something for our swap that will be hard to give up because it fits me perfectly, but I think you'll really like it and I think it suits you better ;)

jayne said...

i agree with all of the above, as for me, i try to never wear anything twice, but only work with what I have so its creative and saavy, no conspicuous consumption here...then again every so often you need to check out H&M, after all feed the economy right haha ?

autumn's darkroom said...

Amen. People aren't paying attention to what they're wasting when they can be creatively taking advantage of thrift stores. And they complain about not having money but they they can afford beer and ciggies. Makes me sick.

Dawn said...

Here here to every word! I love your choice of blogger for this post.
Maybe this crisis is a blessing in disguise... a slap in the face, if you will, to wake us up.
Any way, I was looking for an email address for you and couldn't find one, so could you contact me via my blog or email, please?
Thanks.

esme and the lane way said...

Hear hear! I love these examples.

fashion herald said...

lord knows I'll be recycling my closet starting yesterday!

peaitlreiecnia said...

i'm so happy i've found a fashion type blog where the writer is aware of something other than the latest Hussein Chalayan collection.

i think everything you've said is so true

your outfits are so amazing

and i love your blog so i'm off to link you