Monday, November 03, 2008

We Are Torn Between A Craving To Know And The Despair Of Having Known


Moving throws the funniest things at you. People always tell me I have a lot of clothes but I always thought of my wardrobe as a 'modest collection' that was going to grow with age... Sadly, now I feel quite sick at the thought of having to go through 10 or so years of solid growth. But hopefully my store will see some new action.

One of the tasks I had set myself was to go through my tights and clean them out and hand wash them all, ready for packing. To be honest I think I even surprised myself.

Tights3

Tights2

Tights1

I'm not entirely sure how many there are but they are all different shades and most are quite old. So in honour of my ridiculous tights collection, I thought I'd share some hosiery care tips because I know I'll be heartbroken if some of these ever get torn or broken.

Hosiery Care -
1. Never ever attempt to put on stocking or tights with torn nails, fake nails or overly long nails. Nails must be neat and short or wear some sort of gloves.
2. Always wash tights and stockings by hand especially vintage ones. I find that washing them in a machine (even in one of those special bags) can cause nicks and runs.
3. After buying vintage tights new in the packet, check for discolourations. These can sometimes be removed by washing, as the colour bleeds.
4. Also with vintage tights make sure that you stretch them with your hand before attempting to put them on your leg.
5. Another washing tips - keep the water fairly cool-warm and separate lights and darks, just as you would with clothes.
6. I've been told that the best way to dry stocking/tights is flat (on a towel..) but I occaisonally like to hang them on the line. Being a tall-ish girl, I find that this light stretching gives me a bit of extra length.

Street Style Inspiration -

Facehunter + Australia = We're doing pretty well.

20 comments:

Sarah said...

holy moly... that's alot of tights.

Missa said...

Haaahaaa, Holy moly was the first phrase that came to my mind too, wow that's quite a collection!

They look pretty all hanging together in the sunlight though :)

*indie_queen* said...

So many tights!! Thanks for those tips. I love tights

jayne said...

wow haha

megs said...

I'm jealous! The pictures of them hanging on the line look awesome - almost like an art piece or something

Now I need to go out and buy more tights ahaha

[Tara] said...

holy crap!! I thought I had a lot of tights!! this is amazing...

fashion herald said...

wow! you're totally set for this season's leg color, impressive! and good tips, thanks.

Shay said...

I saw your tights pic and burst out laughing! So funny. I think i probably have just as many. They are addictive...

Brook said...

I am having some serious tight envy! I agree with Megs-the pictures really are quite pretty and interesting, the sun and the breeze really give the photos an artistic quality. Thanks for the tips, I have never dared to aquire a pair of vintage tights for fear of ruining them, but this has given me a little confidence.

A dreamer said...

:O
i love that your tights took up the whole washing line!
and yes face hunter is taking some great shots.

Lavender said...

All those tights on the line are like an art installation.

ana b. said...

whoah! the art installation comment was the first thing i thought of too. this makes me want to branch out beyond my boring old black opaques and leggings.

esme and the lane way said...

Cool! SO many tights, and each and every pair essential, I know :) You can never really have too many pairs of tights.

Lil Midget said...

Whoa...That is qute a collection you have there :)

x

Lady Smaggle said...

Whoa! How terribly discplined of you to wash them all at once like that. Man I'm so jealous! I want million pairs of freshly washed tights...

AusAnna said...

yeah i think my tights collection looks like that, but half are cute up fromvarious headband,ripped knee, cut off trends.
great care advise. something my mother would say, in a good way!

trishhunterfinds said...

Oh.......... my god.
I can just imagine lying underneath them and watching them turn with the sky above them like a kaleidoscope!
Amazing collection you have!
Completely jealous!

kirstie said...

that first picture is actually really nice. but omg tights overload! i have around 10-15 which i thought was a lot but it doesn't even hold a candle up to yours, lol. good tips though! i'm so clumsy when it comes to tights care

bellefantaisie.net said...

I have lots of tights too but I don't wear all of them as much as I should. I tend to stick to black =/
x

Dawn said...

I love your pictures. I noticed that you had on pair of tights that was way longer than the rest. it made me think of how, for me the tights are usually way to short, and if they are not, they are to long... hard to find the perfect fit, being tall.