Wednesday, January 21, 2009

To Market, To Market

This weekend I finally got around to waking up early... which is pretty marvellous for me. And what did I do with this magnificent re-claimed morning? Why I went to the markets!

That being said the markets in my small town aren't that exciting. While there were some fantastic fruit and vegetables about, there is nada in the way of clothing or jewellry that wasn't of the crazy hippy type. Not that that sort of jewellry doesn't have it's place, it's just not what I'm lusting after at the moment. No, the reason why I went was because of the magical, mystical sewing stall. It's the most lovely thing I've ever seen. All it is tables covered with ribbon, lace, buttons, appliques, flowers and fabric but it's definately a reason to get up early.


WR 18.01.09 - Denim + Red

I've never been a huge fan of JayJays (which for non-Aussies is a local denim chain store) simply because I find everything of theirs quite indecent. Shorts are missing inches and the skirts hardly deserve the name. However, I found this denim shirtdress on the old $10 rack and decided to give it a go. Unsurprisingly, I wouldn't have been able to wear it as a dress but I'm hoping it will be quite versatile as a lightweight trench! Now it just has to get colder so I can wear it more!

The brooch is one of those 'too crazy' finds that you buy because you think they are funny. It's a crazy little caricature of a cockatoo which reminds me a little bit of Ken Done.

15 comments:

brooke said...

haha, i love awesome old kitschy ken-done ish 80's aussie accesories (enough description there? eep.)

this s such an awesome outfit, particularly love the socks :)

I agree totally about JayJays, but sometimes as you say there are little gems hidden in all the indecent crap :)

<3 brooke

A dreamer said...

i usually think of jay jays as the place for 20 dollar tees. never even touched their denim.

gah that brooch is so cute. :D
wearing it as a trench- quite a good idea.

yiqin; said...

I love it. You look very chic! I am always scared of brooch because of the brooch holes that just gets bigger and bigger!

The Clothes Horse said...

Really cute mix. I'll send you all the cold weather you want in exchange for some sunshine here. :)

jess said...

I love the way the brooch looks with the jacket.

thevintageyear said...

Wow I would have never guessed that was from Jay Jay's, so you're doing excellently. Well done you for getting up early, I never seem to be able to get up early enough for markets!

& re: your last comment about my future store, it's a pity but I'm going to have to sell on ebay b/c I won't have time to sell on etsy - leaving in a few months and have to get rid of things fast! I do love etsy though it is so great, and I've seen your store & it's lovely :)

Parapluie said...

Wow, teh shirtdress goes wonderfully with your outfit!

ana b. said...

I love the way you've made this shirt dress super interesting! Just magic. Jay jays...hmmmm...I think i stopped buying things from there when I got out of uni. It's definitely an interesting look.

mary said...

she's my icon too!!!
add your blog to my favourite!!!!
kiss ciaooooooo!!!! :D

Amber said...

You are absolutely right! I must be strong and just clean out the closet completely.

Lavender said...

Denim dress is probably just about perfect as a coat up here too. Cute.

DaisyChain said...

that brooch is truly amazing.

alexandra said...

ahh getting up early and going to markets is simply the best!
xoxo

talkingboard said...

I dig your style. Going to start following your posts.

clareassiral said...

love the pop of red socks!